October workshop: How to do an oral history interview
Learn how to plan and record professional interviews
This workshop introduces participants to the practice and methods of doing an oral history interview. It also covers features to look for in professional digital audio recorders, and why they are important.
The workshop covers:
• the features of an oral history interview
• advantages of oral history
• qualities of a good interviewer
• how to prepare for an oral history interview (including research, developing questions, identifying suitable interviewees, preliminary interview, choosing interview location)
• interview structure and types of questions
• analysing good and bad interviews
• managing the interview
• how to make a high-quality recording, and suitable equipment
• hands-on practice using professional recording kits
• important steps after the interview
• the ethics of oral history interviewing
• the importance of copyright and conditions of use
Detailed handouts are provided to participants
Date: Friday, 27th October 2023
Time: 10 am – 3:30 pm
Venue: State Library of South Australia (Hetzel Room) Cost: $100 – Non OHA members;
$85 for concession*/pensioner/student;
$80 OHA member.
Morning tea provided. Please bring your own lunch, or purchase from the State Library café or other nearby cafés.
*Concession cards include cards issued to the unemployed or pensioners, but not the seniors card. Anyone in financial difficulty should e-mail the Association for possible financial assistance.
Bookings and payment in advance are essential.
Please book online via Eventbrite here.